Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Forgetfulness

Have you ever left some of your groceries at the check out counter in Wal Mart? Well I did and didn't discover it for three days. The four items were non perishable and not items I needed right after the shopping spree but when I did need them I couldn't find them. Double checked the pantry, the car, and all points in between, no items. The whole time I am searching I am telling myself I remember taking the items off the shelf, didn't I? Or did I just think I did? Then dig out the receipt to discover I did indeed purchase them but somehow they didn't make it home. So on my next trip to Wal Mart I asked the cashier if there was anything I could do about my forgetfulness since I had no way to prove I left them in the store. She informed me that cashiers are supposed to take any bags left at the check out to customer service. Customer service then records the date, the items and their UPC codes in a little notebook. They then place the items back on the shelf. Then when you discover your forgetfulness simply go back to Wal Mart, re-collect the items off the shelves, take them to customer service along with your receipt, admit how forgetful you are, and when they have verified all the information they bag your items and you are on your way. This works for perishable items as well but since my items weren't perishable and I didn't need them right away I didn't discover them missing in action for a few days. Hopefully you would discover perishable items missing a lot sooner and if not I truly hope they were left at the store and not in the car. I heard about one lady who left some meat in the car and a few days later couldn't understand why the buzzards were flying around her garage and when she went to investigate discovered her forgetfulness. Thought some of you might be interested to know you haven't lost your money and your product. I now have one of each of the items in stock because I didn't find out the process until I had repurchased the goods. Oh well, live and learn! Happy shopping.    

No comments: